Virtual Machines on MacOS - Server error 500

Dear all,

I downloaded the V6.1 machines on my Mac - everything is running, but I cannot analyze the data.

I can log in, but when I try to use any function (right now except ds.listServersideFunctions) I got the error 500:

$study1 [1] “[Server error: (500) Internal Server Error] NotAcceptableException, No match for accept header”

I cannot find anything in the logs, so I am totally at a loss what to do. I updated all DataSHIELD client packages and they are also version 6.1, as the server side functions (successfully listed with ds.listServersideFunctions). Anybody an idea what to do?

Best, Daniela

library(DSI) library(DSOpal) library(dsBaseClient)

builder ← DSI::newDSLoginBuilder() builder$append(server = “study1”, url = “”, user = “administrator”, password = “datashield_test&”, table = “CNSIM.CNSIM1”, driver = “OpalDriver”) builder$append(server = “study2”, url = “”, user = “administrator”, password = “datashield_test&”, table = “CNSIM.CNSIM2”, driver = “OpalDriver”)

logindata ← builder$build()

connections ← DSI::datashield.login(logins = logindata, assign = TRUE, symbol = “hui”) #works till here

ds.colnames(“D”) #gives the above given error message without even given the progress messages

Hi Daniela,

The symbol argument in the datashield.login function defines the name that you give in your dataframe. So you need either to change to symbol=“D” or you need to use the ds functions using the “hui” name (e.g. ds.colnames(“hui”))

Hi Demetris,

thanks! But actually that was just changed for trouble shooting to see if something changes in the server logs (which it does). So: Unfortunatly same error with D instead of my hui.

In addition, gives the same error

connections ← DSI::datashield.login(logins = logindata, assign = TRUE, symbol = “D”)

Both following functions give the same error: ds.colnames(“D”)

Hm not sure then what is going wrong. Maybe @yannick or @swheater can help.

Make sure you have the latest DSOpal and opalr versions.


Hi Daniela,

Can I check a few things. Could you check the version of R and the R packages R, DSOpal and opalr. I can then try to replicate the problem.


Here is my sessionInfo():

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.2 (2020-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin19.5.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS  10.16

Matrix products: default
LAPACK: /usr/local/Cellar/openblas/0.3.10/lib/libopenblasp-r0.3.10.dylib

[1] de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8/C/de_DE.UTF-8/de_DE.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] dsBaseClient_6.1.0 DSOpal_1.1.0       opalr_2.0.0        httr_1.4.2         DSI_1.1.0          R6_2.5.0          
[7] progress_1.2.2

Apparently, something was wrong with my R installation! Now everything is working again :partying_face:

Thanks for your time!