REGISTRATION OPEN: 2019 DataSHIELD Workshop

Registration for the 2019 DataSHIELD workshop in Newcastle University 11-13th September 2019 is now open.

Full meeting details and registration: www.datashield.ac.uk/workshop2019. Registration closes 8th August 2019.

Abstract submission to propose discussion sessions, showcase usecases or propose/demonstrate developments is also open: www.datashield.ac.uk/abstract2019. Closes 31st July 2019.

Please note this meeting is co-located with the EUCAN-Connect AGM which will run 9-10th September.

There’s currently only a brief description on the abstract page saying that abstracts are being accepted. I’ve probably completely missed it somewhere else, but is there a bit more information available on what format is required and how to submit them? Thanks.

@asm it is just a webform (nothing too formal, but the abstracts will be made available online) www.datashield.ac.uk/abstract2019

Also we have introduced a poster session and lightning talks (1 slide, 5 mins talks) as an option this year.

@becca.wilson thanks - I hadn’t realised the webform was there: it turns out it was getting blocked by teh Privacy Badger addon which I have installed.

asm [1] July 4

There’s currently only a brief description on the abstract page saying that abstracts are being accepted. I’ve probably completely missed it somewhere else, but is there a bit more information available on what format is required and how to submit them? Thanks.

I Andrei,

Last year we register with this information: Name Rui Camacho Address FEUP Rua Dr Roberto Frias, s/n Porto, 4200-465 Portugal Email rcamacho@fe.up.pt Submission Type Standard talk (20 mins + 10 mins questions) Abstract Title Distributed Statistical Analysis Using DataSHIELD in Epidemiological Studies Authors and affiliations Paula Raissa , INESC TEC Gonçalo Gonçalves, INESC TEC Carla Moreira, ISPUP Vitor Santos, INESC TEC José Pedro Ornelas, INESC TEC João Correia Lopes, INESC TEC & FEUP Artur Rocha, INESC TEC Rui Camacho, INESC TEC & FEUP Abstract (300 words max) DataSHIELD is a set of R packages, that enable data analysis in a distributed setting without the need to disclose or transfer individual-level data. DataSHIELD already provides some packages to make statistical analysis like generalized linear models, tests and basic statistics calculations. For more extensive and in depth statistical analysis we need to extend DataSHIELD repertoire of data analysis functions. We have developed a new R package that includes more regression models, basic statistics and Goodness-of-fit tests. Our approach to build the R package for distributed analysis, required the rewriting of the statistical formulae by formula decomposition. The reformulation of the formulae allows for the distributed computation of aggregated values (summations basically) on ech data nodes. Final values are then computed at a central node using aggregated data only. We also aimed at minimizing the amount of calls to each data node. The proposed strategy yields the same results as polling data analysis. For regression models, our package includes functions like linear, logistic, poisson, polynomial and hierarchical regression. For basic statistics our main contribution is the conditional percentiles functions. For model checking there are functions like Anova, t-Test, Kruskal Wallis and others. We are currently developing important functions on Survival analysis, such as, Kaplan Meier, Nelson Aalen and Cox Hazard. The R package was tested using a small sample of Generation XXI cohort data set. The package was also tested with a set of artificial data sets specially designed to test efficiency and robustness. For demonstration, we will show a pilot study using Generation XXI data set and conditional percentile functions. The work was done under the RECAP preterm project that is funded from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 733280

I will ask Paula the details, but I think that it was a single PDF file. Regards, Rui

I Andrei,

Paula confirmed that one has just to fill in the form in the workshop Web site as the example I sent you in last email. Limit of 300 words.

Regrads, Rui

We want to have a session where each cohort study (LifeCycle, Interconnect and Recap) can give a 10 mins introduction/overview of their consortia (number of sites etc), what they are researching and also how/when they will/are using DataSHIELD. I think this will be helpful for delegates within and external to EUCAN-Connect. Is it possible for @tombishop, @sidohaakma @asm to liaise with their respective consortia and let me know who will be able to deliver this so I can work it into the agenda.

Thanks Becca. I think this will be very helpful to set our overall plans in context and I look forward to hearing what is happening.

Hi, yes I am happy to talk about InterConnect

Tom

1 Like

Hi @becca.wilson, sure RECAP Preterm can present something short, that would be good. I think we’re still figuring out who is going to attend so let’s stay in touch about this. Cheers, Andrei

1 Like